socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

what is the maximum annual earnings for a single person filing

what is the maximum annual earnings for a single person filing chapter 7 bk
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

The answer is not straightforward.

Under 11 USC §707(b)(2), a Chapter 7 case filed by an individual debtor whose debts are primarily consumer debts is subject to a presumption that the case should be dismissed for abuse if the debtor's net income exceeds specified levels based on a statutory formula. See 11 USC §707(b)(2)(A)(i). The presumption of abuse will be triggered under the formula if the debtor's current monthly income, reduced by allowable monthly expenses (see 11 USC §707(b)(2)(A)(ii)-(iv)) and multiplied by 60, is not less than the lesser of:

• The greater of (1) 25 percent of the debtor's nonpriority unsecured claims in the case, or (2) $6,575; or
  • $10,950.

If you are thoroughly confused, you may want to just take the "means test" at this link. It will tell you if you are a candidate for Chapter 7.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 12/4/2009 at 12:12 AM EST