socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

If a landlord is facing foreclosure, then he/she file for bankruptcy.

If a landlord is facing foreclosure, then he/she file for bankruptcy. The house was suposed to be on sale Dec 2nd 2009 now on sale for Jan 12th 2010. My is, as Tenant when the situation is like for my landlord do i continue to pay her rent? because says she is file for Bankcruptcy that means she wont loose the house. I'm confused please help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX you.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Under California law, the property remains that of the owner until the "fall of the hammer" at the foreclosure sale. Until then, the landlord is entitled to rent payments for the use of the property.

You would continue to pay rent to the landlord unless you are notified by the bankruptcy court to make payments to the bankruptcy trustee, or unless you are notified by the new owner to pay rent to the new owner. In this last case, you would want to confirm that the new owner actually "is" the new owner, before paying rent to that person. There are a lot of scams connected to this sort of situation.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.