Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hud has sent a letter to my husbands work to garnish his wages

Hud has sent a letter to my husbands work to garnish his wages and we are just barely making it now.. we tried to make payment arrangements with them but it was so outrageous that it no even close to possible. If they garnish his wages we wont be able to make it. Do i file bankruptcy and get rid of all my debt?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
what type of claim is HUD pursuing
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we gave back a mobile home a year ago and they are wanting us to pay almost 19,000 dollars with a payment of five hundred dollars a month and are not negotiating knowing how the economy is and how many people are out of jobs.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

You may want to consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy to eliminate this debt. I will explain.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Texas:

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,