socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

i am listed as a creditor on a ex-friends bankruptcy. she

i am listed as a creditor on a ex-friend's bankruptcy. she owes me $5K. i took her to court. she didn't show up so then i got the judgment in my favor. then went to the garnishment office and started that process. a few weeks later she filed for bankruptcy. the creditor's meeting is in 2 weeks, but i haven't received a motion to avoid the lien. that's what the trustee's office said, i should of received it by now and that i have until 12/11 to respond. what do i do now.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Unless the debt from your ex friend was obtained by fraud or deceit, it will be discharged in bankruptcy and you will not likely collect anything. That's what bankruptcy is for: to get rid of debts that cannot be paid.

The reason why the attorneys are saying "too bad" is because there is either no case to make against the debtor, or because the cost of making a case is more than what you're owed.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there anything i can do or say at the 341 meeting to persuade the judge to make her pay me back? she's getting child support now and is paying rent with her live-in boyfriend. she has more money than before.
The 341 meeting is not presided over by the court. No orders are made at the meeting. The law permits a debtor to discharge all debts, unless a debt was procured by fraud or willful injury to the creditor. The only use of the 341 meeting it to try to identify whether or not the debtor has concealed assets. If so, then the bankruptcy may be dismissed and you would be free to try to collect again.