socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I am in Idaho, curently in a chapter 13 plan I have had some

I am in Idaho, curently in a chapter 13 plan I have had some money problems and got behind on my house payments can I add the arears to the plan that I am in now
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

A debtor can file a motion to modify the plan on grounds of changed financial circumstances. However, the trustee and/or a creditor can object, based upon the prejudice caused by the modification.

The greater the prejudice to the creditors (i.e., the less they receive as the result of your proposed modification), the less likely the court will confirm the modification, and the more likely you may be forced into a hardship discharge (which is the equivalent of a Chapter 7).

This would mean that you would lose the house.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.