Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

A company that owes me a debt has petitioned the court to file

A company that owes me a debt has petitioned the court to file a chapter 7 and try to get out of paying off their debt owed to me as well as others.

The court has sent me a letter asking me to file a dcument to protest them from being granted the chapter 7 petition.

I do not know exactly what the court wants me to say in this letter, is there a place where I can find information that may help me with this problem ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Under chapter 7, the exceptions to discharge are found here. 11 USC 523
Generally, you would have to file an adversary objection before the last day to object (on the notice you received). Then, there will be a trial to determine the dischargeability of the debt. The most common objections are for fraud, or false information used to obtain credit. Read thru the code section to see if your debt may qualify. If so, then talk with a local bankruptcy attorney to assist you in filing the objection to the debt.