How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2870
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A company that owes me a debt has petitioned the court to file

Resolved Question:

A company that owes me a debt has petitioned the court to file a chapter 7 and try to get out of paying off their debt owed to me as well as others.

The court has sent me a letter asking me to file a dcument to protest them from being granted the chapter 7 petition.

I do not know exactly what the court wants me to say in this letter, is there a place where I can find information that may help me with this problem ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Under chapter 7, the exceptions to discharge are found here. 11 USC 523
Generally, you would have to file an adversary objection before the last day to object (on the notice you received). Then, there will be a trial to determine the dischargeability of the debt. The most common objections are for fraud, or false information used to obtain credit. Read thru the code section to see if your debt may qualify. If so, then talk with a local bankruptcy attorney to assist you in filing the objection to the debt.
Terry L. and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions