socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

MY CHAPTER 13 CASE WAS DISMISSED FRIDAY MY ATTORNEY SAID I

MY CHAPTER 13 CASE WAS DISMISSED FRIDAY MY ATTORNEY SAID I CAN PAY THE $4440 THAT I AM BEHIND TO REINSTATE THE CASE WITHIN 10 DAYS OR REFILE THE CASE I CANT PAY THAT AMOUNT IN 10 DAYS I WILL NEED TO REFILE. HOW HARD IS IT AND WILL THEY LET ME REFILE. I CANT AFFORD MY MORTGAGE PAYMENTS AND I AM STILL TRYING TO WORK WITH THE BANK TO MODIFY THE LOAN .LAST MONTH DID STIPULATION AGREEMENT. PAYED 1300 FOR STIPULATION AGREEMENT TO START.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

You can refile, but the automatic stay will be lifted 30 days after you file unless you can show by clear and convincing evidence that your prior case was not dismissed due to willful failure to follow the court's orders. That is, there must be changed financial circumstances beyond your control which caused you to be unable to meet the terms of your previous Chapter 13 plan.

Also, your next filing may be barred for 180 days. 11 USC §349.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.