Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.
635143

If a person faces bankruptcy and owns property in two states

If a person faces bankruptcy and owns property in two states could that person quit claim the property to relatives to avoid having to liquidate?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, such transfers are not effective to put your assets beyond the reach of creditors and bankruptcy trustees. Such action may also result in your bankruptcy being denied or worse.

A bankruptcy trustee can recover assets transferred within one year of the bankruptcy filing where the debtor did not get reasonably equivalent value for the asset, or where the transfer was made with intent to hinder creditors. The look back period may be even longer under the law of your state, giving the trustee that same state law look back period in which to recover assets.

If you have more assets than you can protect with your available exemptions, consider filing Chapter 13 where the debtor generally keeps all of their property and buys back the non-exempt value from the creditors through payments to the Chapter 13 trustee out of future income.

______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Law Girl, Attorney
Experience: I am an attorney.