JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

Can you collateralize a property that does not exist

Customer Question

Can you collateralize a property that does not exist?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you mean can you get a secured loan on non-existent property, I would say no - that would be fraud.

If you are asking what happens when you have a loan secured by property that exists, but then the property is destroyed, then I would say the loan is then reduced to an unsecured status.

If you are asking what happens when you have a loan secured by property that exists, but then the property is given away or sold, then it gets blurry. The creditor would probably have a claim against the buyer for getting rid of the collateral in violation of the security agreement without the creditor's approval. This could be viewed as simple breach of contract, or even as fraud. If the creditor knew the collateral was being gotten rid of and consented, then this would probably just reduce it to an unsecured loan.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, so if not, please let me know and I will try.

Thanks,
Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I borrowed money from a bank in 2005 for construction of Buildings A & B (Phase 1) only secured by the land. There was no talk about Buildings C & D. In 2007, I decided to build c & D (Phase 2) with my own money on the same parcel and told my attorney (who also represented the Bank) that I do not want C & D to be encumbered by the Bank. His answer was that since the parcel was not divided and the buildings did not exist (no separate Legal Description) I could not separate them, but once the buildings are completed he will get them out for me. Now the bank claims that I signed a letter of commitment in 2007 for future advance (which was only for A & B) that stated the collateral as all buildings A, B, C & D. I do not have a copy of this letter of Comm. I may have signed it. The loan documents only state the parcel as collateral. At that time (2007) Buildings C & D did not exist, and I could have decided not to build them. My loan for A & B was not contingent upon building C & D or provide additional security. And the bank did not provide any additional consideration for C & D. Is that letter of commitment valid for the fact that in 2007 Bldg C & D did not exist and I had the option not to build them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I borrowed money from a bank in 2005 for construction of Buildings A & B (Phase 1) only secured by the land. There was no talk about Buildings C & D. In 2007, I decided to build c & D (Phase 2) with my own money on the same parcel and told my attorney (who also represented the Bank) that I do not want C & D to be encumbered by the Bank. His answer was that since the parcel was not divided and the buildings did not exist (no separate Legal Description) I could not separate them, but once the buildings are completed he will get them out for me. Now the bank claims that I signed a letter of commitment in 2007 for future advance (which was only for A & B) that stated the collateral as all buildings A, B, C & D. I do not have a copy of this letter of Comm. I may have signed it. The loan documents only state the parcel as collateral. At that time (2007) Buildings C & D did not exist, and I could have decided not to build them. My loan for A & B was not contingent upon building C & D or provide additional security. And the bank did not provide any additional consideration for C & D. Is that letter of commitment valid for the fact that in 2007 Bldg C & D did not exist and I had the option not to build them. Customer(Online) -- 4 Accepts / 3 Questions