JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

The debtor amended his schedules to include our companys debt

The debtor amended his schedules to include our company's debt on October 19, 2009 and the discharge was entered October 20, 2009, can we object to the discharge?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Yes, most likely. Normally you should get a notice from the court or from Debtor's counsel advising you that you have 60 days after the amendment is filed to object to discharge.

Even if you do not receive any such notice, you would generally want to file your objection as quickly as possible to have the best chance of the Bankruptcy Court not throwing it out as a tardy objection.

You would also want to confirm that you have grounds to object; i.e. that the debt is non-dischargeable, that the debt was incurred after the bankruptcy case was filed, etc.

Hope this helps!

Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.