Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I am in possession of a 2007 Honda Civic which CitiFinacial

I am in possession of a 2007 Honda Civic which CitiFinacial Auto has a security interest. I filed for Chpt 7 bankruptcy (Florida) on June 1st. As part of the bankruptcy filing I indicated I would be voluntarily surrendering the vehicle. Citi Finacial Auto got the automatic stay lifted on September 15th. The bankruptcy was discharged on October 1st. The sent me a final letter stating that I had until October 24th to bring payments up to date or they would repossess. I have called them al least 8 times to make arrangements to pick up the vehicle but they will not work with me. They now say they can not do anything before 11/25/09. Am I safe in just dropping the vehicle off at one of there offices? Do I have any recourse?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
You can drop off the vehicle at one of their offices, but be sure to get a receipt detailing that you did so. Otherwise, tell them to come pick up the vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Terry,

I spoke with CitiFinancial this morning and I told them to come pick up the vehicle but they would not. I told them I was going to drop the vehicle off at one of their offices but they did not really agree that it would be OK to do that and they would not give me an address of the their closest office. I know where an office is but I doubt they will sign a receipt. Is it OK to go ahead and leave it and send the keys certified so I know they got them.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
I would not recommend leaving it there without getting a receipt. Keep the car at the house until they are ready to pick it up.