JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996

In the state of Mississippi, if someone has had a bankruptcy

In the state of Mississippi, if someone has had a bankruptcy discharged how long before they can file another? I don't know what chapter he was individual with no repaymentplan.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
If it was an individual bankruptcy with no repayment, then it was most likely Chapter 7.

The Bankruptcy Code says you cannot file another Chapter 7 for eight years from the filing date of a prior Chapter 7.

You can file a Chapter 13 any time after a prior Chapter 7, but if it is filed within 4 years of the Chapter 7, then the Chapter 13 can only be used to reorganize debt but cannot discharge any debt.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, let me know!

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.