Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I am returning to court after 30 days to plead the charges

I am returning to court after 30 days to plead the charges listed on an arbitration summons. The law firm used by a credit card company did not include a copy of any agreement by me to the card company. Is this grounds to ask for dismissal of the changes?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, just because the document was not attached, does not mean you will be able to have the case dismissed. This is called discovery, where you ask the other side to provide proof of their claim. If they are unable to prove the obligation, then yes, you can dismiss the case. If you file your answer, then the hearing comes up, you can buy yourself maybe a month or so. If they do wind up with a judgment, it will dischage once you are able to file the bankruptcy case. IF you have not done so already, contact a local bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation to review the timeframe with the quit claim deed. If you received fair value, or there was no equity in the property when you transferred it, perhaps you do not need to wait until april to file the case! Best of Luck to you.