TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I filed bankruptcy on 07/04/09 and had the meeting of the creditors

I filed bankruptcy on 07/04/09 and had the meeting of the creditors on 08/14/09. I completed my credit counseling with the certificate of completion. Form B9A states that the deadline for filing objections was on 10/13/09.

The question is: When and how can I expect to hear of the finalizing of my bankruptcy?

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy generally takes 3 to 4 months if there aren’t any problems. Based on when you filed, and the fact that the deadline for objections has now passed, I believe you’ll be discharged soon. You should hear about it via your attorney, but you’ll also be mailed documentation from the court. If your attorney is ignoring you, then I suggest that you write him a formal letter demanding that he return your phone calls, and remind him that he has an ethical obligation to communicate with you. If your attorney totally blows you off, then that may warrant a complaint to the Missouri State Bar. Lack of communication is probably the #1 complaint, and the State Bar takes it very seriously.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.