TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

my finances are a mess and I was advised to seek legal advice.

my finances are a mess and I was advised to seek legal advice. The first appointment that I could obtain was 11/16/2009. But creditors all calling now. What should I do? I was advised not to make any promises to any creditor without first obtaining legal advice, but I do not want any lawsuits or garnishments put into place before I can deal with this through an attorney.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The 16th is just two weeks away. You can be served a lawsuit before then, but you won’t need to appear in court before then. Therefore, even if you are served, your attorney can take care of it after consulting with you. As for garnishments … that can only happen after the creditor successfully sues you and wins a judgment. Therefore, there is even more time to deal with that issue. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if you haven’t already been sued, then you won’t need to deal with any of that stuff before the 16th.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.