Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

MY SON PURCHASED A CAR 3 YEARS AGO. I THOUGHT I WAS CO-SIGNER

MY SON PURCHASED A CAR 3 YEARS AGO. I THOUGHT I WAS CO-SIGNER BUT FOUND OUT LATER AFTER HE FILED BANKRUPCTY THAT I WAS THE MAJOR SIGNER. ALL THE OTHER PAPERWORK, REGISTRATION, TITLE ETC ARE IN HIS NAME. HE HAS NOT PAID THE BANK FOR OVER A YEAR AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LEGAL RIGHT I HAVE TO TAKE THE JEEP AWAY AND HOW
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
If the title is not in your name, then you do not have a lot of options. A cosigner is responsible for the debt, if the 2nd party does not pay. If the debt was discharged in the bankruptcy, or if you are the only signer on the loan, then you have the right to surrender or have the vehicle repossessed. (you'll be on the hook for the remainging balance though after auction.) You can sue him in small claims court if you have a written agreement between the two of you as to who was to pay this debt, although this may have been discharged in the bankruptcy too. Absent that, you do not have a lot of options. Since you do not have the title in your name, or a valid lien against the title, it would be considered theft if you took the vehicle.