Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I filed bankruptcy chp.7 and continued to pay my mortgage,

Customer Question

I filed bankruptcy chp.7 and continued to pay my mortgage, its been 7 years and now am faceing forcloser. Am I responcable for the loan?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
Do you know if you formally in writing reaffirmed the loan in your bankruptcy or not?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think so. Is it a differnt paper?
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Yes, your bank would have made you sign a reaffirmation agreement and you would have also told the court that you were re-affirming the loan. If you cannot remember, you may want to contact the lender and see if they have a reaffirmation on file and if they do to send you a copy.

If there was no reaffirmation type agreement, then you are not liable on the note since the debt/mortgage would have been discharged in the bankruptcy 7 years ago. If you did sign to reaffirm the loan, then yes, your non-exempt portion of the assets, would be subject to attachment for any deficiency judgment.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge.