JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996

Hello Joseph, Heres a continuation of our same case that

Hello Joseph,

Here's a continuation of our same case that you answered on before:

By claiming there was no equity for the creditors, our first mortgage holder got the court to remove our home from the bankruptcy estate and initiated foreclosure. (We had already surrendered the home but had a $20,000 homestead credit filed in the case.) Note: Assessed value presented to court was $178,000 but was now reassessed by the county at $222,700.

We have a young couple interested in submiting a short sale offer to the first mortgage holder willing to add a provision to deed a 2 acre parcel (already surveyed off 2 years ago) to us, which is equivalent in value to our homestead credit.

Is this even possible considering that there’s a 2nd mortgage holder with a lien? The offer they plan to submit is very close to the amount the first mortgage holder needs to completely satisfy the debt but not enough to pay anything to the 2nd mortgage holder who has already written the debt off.

Question: " Is this sale even possible considering that there’s a 2nd mortgage holder with a lien?"

Answer: Unfortunately it depends on the second mortgage holder, who are often not particularly easy to work with. They don't have to release their mortgage at all, so it is a negotiation process. You may be able to get the second mortgage lender to go along with it if they can transfer all or part of their mortgage to the 2 acres, or if you can make some cash settlement to them.

Of course you can try to just get them to release it for free as an initial goal, but I would anticipate you will have to throw them a bone to get them to actually do it.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.