socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I reaffirmed my car loan with my credit union in my bankruptcy,

I reaffirmed my car loan with my credit union in my bankruptcy, and recently paid that loan off. I have not yet received the title from the CU. I also had a Mastercard through the CU which I did not reaffirm, but continued to pay on so I would have use of it afterward. Since then I have been living without a credit card; I have found I like the feeling of control I have over my money, and would like to discontinue making payments, since they were voluntary in the first place. My questions are: (1) Has making voluntary payments negated my ability not to pay this credit card, which was discharged in my Ch. 7 bankruptcy? (2) Because both my auto loan and credit card was with the same CU, is there any way they could legally refuse to release my title until the credit card is paid?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

(1) Has making voluntary payments negated my ability not to pay this credit card, which was discharged in my Ch. 7 bankruptcy?

A: No. Once a debt is discharged in bankruptcy it cannot be reaffirmed by the debtor. However, if you used the credit card to make new purchases, those purchases are not part of the bankruptcy, and the creditor can sue to collect on that new debt.

(2) Because both my auto loan and credit card was with the same CU, is there any way they could legally refuse to release my title until the credit card is paid?

A: If there was some tie in expressly described in the car loan agreement, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)