socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

My husband and I are getting a divorce and he has agreed to

Customer Question

My husband and I are getting a divorce and he has agreed to assume all of our debt- we have been paying a debt consolidation company but now he is going to file for bankruptcy because the payments will be too high for us in our individual households (I will have the 2 kids). Can he do this (is it allowed) and will I not be affected by the bankruptcy? Also, would it matter if he filed before or after the divorce?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

The third party creditors are not affected by the divorce. If your husband files for divorce, and you are jointly obligated for the debt, then the creditor can turn to you for payment, and if you can't afford it, then your only option will be bankruptcy.

Figuring out whether a particular set of circumstances will impact a non-filing spouse is difficult, because it requires an assessment of all the possible assets and debts. Most family law attorneys are unable to make this assessment.

For a bankruptcy law attorney referral, see: and

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Hope this helps.