Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar

Do I have to include my Veterans Disability Compensation as

Do I have to include my Veteran's Disability Compensation as income in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Under Title 38 Section 5301 are Veterans Disability Income and assets purchased from that income exempt from bankruptcy calculations?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
You would list it in the bankruptcy schedule I.
If the veterans disability income comes from the Social Security Act, then it does not need to be included in the means test calculation.
While Title 38 section 5301 says that they cannot be garnished, it does not state that they are not income for the purposes of the bankruptcy means testing.
Best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You may have not fully read title 38 section a: This is it as follows:

USC, Title 38, Section 5301 reads in part; Payments of benefits due or to become due under any law administered by the Secretary shall not be assignable except to the extent specifically authorized by law, and such payments made to, or on account of, a beneficiary shall be exempt from taxation, shall be exempt from the claim of creditors, and shall not be liable to attachment, levy, or seizure by or under any legal or equitable process whatever, either before or after receipt by the beneficiary.

I did not ask about garnishment of benefit. I ask about protection of VA Benefits being exempt in Chapter 13 & 7. Here is my understanding:

Veterans' service-connected disability compensation is intended to financially compensate a military veteran disabled in the line of duty. This compensation is not an asset, or property, and should not be used to calculate a veteran's net worth. Disability compensation is awarded to a veteran that has lost some/all physical or mental ability to work, or maintain a daily routine. Veteran's disability compensation is tax exempt and not classified as ‘income' by the IRS. VA disability compensation is non-transferable and cannot be awarded to a third party under any legal process whatsoever. Even after the veteran has deposited these funds into their personal bank account they are federally protected from attachment or seizure. Disability compensation belongs solely to the disabled veteran that has suffered the disability.

Does this law have to state specifically "exempt from bankruptcy"?

Is this part of the law not clear enought "such payments made to, or on account of, a beneficiary shall be exempt from taxation, shall be exempt from the claim of creditors, and shall not be liable to attachment, levy, or seizure by or under any legal or equitable process whatever, either before or after receipt by the beneficiary".

If not, what does "by any legal or equitable process" mean"? Isn't the Chapter 13 & 7 a legal or equitable process?

All the legal opinions that I have found have been wishie washie. They end with the advice "check with a lawyer, with the bar association, with your congressman, with VA and so on & on". Well that is what exactly I have been doing.

Since I am not a renowned Judge, Lawyer or Law Maker, my interpretation of the intent of the law is meaningless.

Is there anyone with out there with the legal credentials & respect that can help not only me but all veterans?

Expert:  Terry L. replied 4 years ago.
I understand what you are asking, and I did read the whole code section you cited. I reiterate that it is referring to creditor attachment, through any legal process, and thus cannot be garnished, attached etc as I explained. However, all income is included in the means test calculation, unless the benefit is specifically derived from the Social Security Act. Means test calculation is just to determine if you are able to pay back debt. That is all. It is not a forced attachment or anything like that. It is just a calculation to see if you are able to pay back a percentage of the debts. The bankruptcy code states:

11 USC Sec 101
(10A) The term "current monthly income"--

(A) means the average monthly income from all sources that the debtor receives (or in a joint case the debtor and the debtor's spouse receive) without regard to whether such income is taxable income, derived during the 6-month period ending on--

(i) the last day of the calendar month immediately preceding the date of the commencement of the case if the debtor files the schedule of current income required by section 521(a)(1)(B)(ii); or

(ii) the date on which current income is determined by the court for purposes of this title if the debtor does not file the schedule of current income required by section 521(a)(1)(B)(ii); and

(B) includes any amount paid by any entity other than the debtor (or in a joint case the debtor and the debtor's spouse), on a regular basis for the household expenses of the debtor or the debtor's dependents (and in a joint case the debtor's spouse if not otherwise a dependent), but excludes benefits received under the Social Security Act, payments to victims of war crimes or crimes against humanity on account of their status as victims of such crimes, and payments to victims of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of title 18) or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of title 18) on account of their status as victims of such terrorism.

Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

California and Iowa passed laws to clearify the intent of 38 5301 which is where my interpretation was derived.

I do appreciate your interpretation and will use it to continue the research into this matter.

Thanks,

Ed Warburton