Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am filing chapter 7, pro se. I need to know two things

I am filing chapter 7, pro se. I need to know two things: where (if at all) do I record a judgement that we have against a prior tenant? They owe us $10K but we will probably never get it. Do I have to record this somewhere in my schedules or forms. AND: We sold our condo via short sale less than a year ago. Would this be recorded on the statement of financial affairs line 10a? There was no value received so would I just put zero there on line 10a?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

where (if at all) do I record a judgement that we have against a prior tenant? They owe us $10K but we will probably never get it. Do I have to record this somewhere in my schedules or forms.
Schedule B - Personal Property

AND: We sold our condo via short sale less than a year ago. Would this be recorded on the statement of financial affairs line 10a? There was no value received so would I just put zero there on line 10a?

yes that is correct
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. On schedule B - Personal property what line item would that judgement be under? I think # XXXXX is that correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Update: I figured out the judgement should be recorded on line 18 of schedule b - personal property. But I have another question (last one I promise!):

We have a security deposit for our current home with our landlord. Is it necessary for me to include this on schedule c - property claimed as exempt? I don't know if the trustee can take that money from us if we don't actually have it, our landlord does. But I want to make sure its filed as exempt if it needs to be. Am I making any sense here? :-)

Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You do need to list the security deposit. Whether it is exempt depends upon what state law you are filing under.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I live in the state of Illinois and I had it listed under the wildcard exemption.

I know I have to list it on schedule b but I was not sure if it was to my benefit to list it as exempt or not. I just didn't want to omit it from schedule c and then the trustee ask us to pay him, (since we don't even have it, ,our landlord does)

Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
Yes you need to list it as exempt otherwise the trustee can compel the landlord to turnover the security