socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I am currently in year 3 of my personal bankruptsy. Chapter

Customer Question

I am currently in year 3 of my personal bankruptsy. Chapter 13. My original lender sold my mortgage. For the past 7 months, I have had to pay my attorney my monthly mortgage fee, because I can not get my lender to send me a monthly statement. What are my options? My mortgage includes my insurance and taxes.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.You could contact them yourself and seek the information.They may or may not talk to you here since you are in the middle of bankruptcy.But you obviously need this information so be persistent. It shouldn't be that hard to get ofr either you or the paralegal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have tried that, and you're correct they won't talk to me. I just wanted to know if by law, my rights are being violated by not receiving notification monthly.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

I was asked to step into this question.

The lender is afraid to contact you directly, because it may be construed as a violation of the automatic bankruptcy stay, which would open the lender up to a contempt order and damages for attempting to collect your debt.

This is somewhat a judgment call on the lender's part, because discussing the debt with you is not by itself a "collection" attempt under the bankruptcy code.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the lender has the right to foreclose your loan, because of the bankruptcy. But, it can simply refrain from doing so, while your payments are current. And, as an artifact of the bankruptcy process, the lender has no legal obligation to communicate with you, because there is no longer an enforceable loan contract.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)