Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

My car was reposessed this morning by honda financial. I owed

Customer Question

My car was reposessed this morning by honda financial. I owed 2 mnths so i paid one month last night online.which came out of my account this morning. I owe for last month and was going to make the payment next week. My due dates r on the 15th of every month. I dont know what to do
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.

New York law requires a creditor who repossesses your motor vehicle to notify you personally, or by special delivery first class mail, within 24 hours of such repossession. Such notice must also be given to the nearest motor vehicle district office and must include the name and address of the person, firm, or corporation repossessing the vehicle.

The lender may sell your property by public auction or private sale. Such sale must be reasonable in terms of the method, manner, time, place and terms. You have the right to be notified of the time and place of a public sale and/or of the time after which a private sale you goods will be made.

Until the creditor sells the goods, you have the right to pay all of your debt plus the creditor's expenses in repossessing and preparing to sell the goods including reasonable legal expenses. The creditor must then return the goods to you.