Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

my wife had a craniotomy and is now disabled. we are 44 and

Customer Question

my wife had a craniotomy and is now disabled. we are 44 and 42 and do not wish to have medicaid, which we had to apply for since she didnt have any insurance, pulling us down the rest of our life. 2200 dollars is all we can have, ever!should i divorce her (on paper) and declare bankruptcy, let medicaid kick in and pay the over 150,000 dollar hospital bill, medicaid starts monday oct. 5th. should i stop medicaid, file bankruptcy? should i let medicaid pay now and do something later? how do i get out from under this debt and live a normal life with my wife. please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 7 years ago.
IS THE DEBT ON HER NAME OR YOURS OR JOINTLY?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the hospital debt is for her. she is the only one on medicaid, but upon admission to the hospital i signed all the admission papers and pay liability sheets because she was not able. because of her tumor she lost her job in march(fell asleep at her desk-result of the yet to be found tumor) we couldnt afford insuance with mine because it would have been $492. more a month on one salary. ill check back every few minutes if you need more information.