Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Hello I know the quality of lawyer is very important in

I know the quality of lawyer is very important in almost all cases. However, I have a question about how important quality is in a fairly routine individual Chapter 11 case (limits require it to move from a 13 to an 11). I have met with three lawyers (paid for an hour of consultation from each) and my prices range from $150 an hour to $300 an hour. Will a better B/R lawyer get a better outcome to justify the extra expense (estimated to be $5000 to $10,000 over the course of the case) or are straighforward b/r cases just that -- straightforward.

Hourly rate can be indicitave of experience, practice area, and location. You should use your due dillegence in interviewing the attorney. Check with the Better Business bureau and local bar association for any information. Figure out who will be doing the work, staff or that attorney. Ask for client references. Fee rate can be indicitive of experience to some degree, but you should combine that with your due dillegence to make the final decision. You must feel comfortable and have the same view for the case, which is important.