socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I am completing a credit application for a car. There is a

Customer Question

I am completing a credit application for a car. There is a question on the form that asks if I have ever had a repossession. I have, and even though it wasn't my fault, it was more than 10 years ago and it's my understanding that it's no longer on my credit. If it's off my credit report, do I need to answer yes to this question?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A repossession would remain on your credit record for seven years (15 USC 1681c(a)(4)).

However, if you are applying for a loan to a federally insured lender, then any false statement on the application that later causes the lender-bank damages, could be prosecuted as federal bank fraud, which has VERY severe penalties (up to $1,000,000 fine and 30 years imprisonment).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.