Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

I received official notice that I was being sued. This was

Customer Question

I received official notice that I was being sued. This was sent to me on July 15. The lawyer represents Amex for a debt I have with them. I did not ask for validation or discovery. I did not respond to the complaint at all in the thirty five day period. It is now almost a month after that period has ended. How do I find out if there is a default judgement against me? I am unemployed and have no assets so the best they can do is garnish my wages in the future, i guess. My bank account is not frozen. I only have 21 dollars in there. Is there anything I can do at this point? I do not have the money to work out a deal with them.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 7 years ago.
a bankruptcy is always an option, to see the status of the case against you, you can check with the court where they filed the case, and give them the index number, also, if it was not completed you may still have time to file an answer.

check with the NJ website, and they may also have the info online.