socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am fiing for bankruptcy and among my debt i am listing is

I am fiing for bankruptcy and among my debt i am listing is a house and boat that still is both in my and my ex-husbands name. How will this affect my bankruptcy? Will I still be able to list my house and boat as a debt? What will happen?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

If you own property in both your ex-husband and your name, then the bankruptcy trustee may be able to sell the entire property to satisfy your creditors. However, AZ law also provides a $150,000 exemption on your principal residence, so if the total equity of your home is $150,000 or less, then the bankruptcy trustee cannot sell the home. If your home has no equity, then the bankruptcy trustee won't care about it, and it will simply be up to you to continue to make payments against the home. Otherwise, the lender can still foreclose and take the home away from you.

If the boat has a loan and no equity, then the same applies to the boat, except no homestead exemption. If the boat has no loan, then the trustee may be able to sell the boat to pay some of your debts, and pay the other half of its value to your ex.

As for what paperwork you must fill out, that depends on the bankruptcy court local rules, which you must be COMPLETELY familiar with. Here's the pro se court handout, if you don't already have it.

A motion for relief from automatic stay is what a creditor uses to pemit the sale of a secured asset duing bankruptcy, such as a home or secured motor vehicle. As a debtor, you would never need to to lift the automatic stay.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The house and boat are in Oregon. There is no equity on the house or boat. Can I list them both on my bankruptcy paperwork?
You certainly can.