Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My husband and I filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy Summer of

My husband and I filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy Summer of 2008. This summer, we fell behind in our house payments. Right now we owe for July and August and will owe for September in a few more days. We got a notification in the mail last week from a lawyer representing the bank who has her mortgage where they have filed with the court to have a stay lifted so they can pursue us in foreclosure. My question is, if we pay what we are past due will they drop their suit ? We can borrow the money from a relative. I talked with a representative from the law firm we used for our bankruptcy last year and she said that she thought they would but they were also asking for us to pay for their costs for filing. I am not willing to do that because it shows on their paperwork that they tried to contact our lawyer on 8/27 to see if an arrangement could be worked out and no one from our lawyer's office called them back. What should we do ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Consider having your lawyer prepare an amended plan that includes the mortgage arrearage. The amended plan should be filed prior to the hearing for Relief from Automatic Stay. Attend the hearing for Relief from Automatic Stay and tell the judge that you have filed an amended plan and if necessary you can borrow the money to bring the loan current immediately.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't know if that would be possible since our home was not part of the bankruptcy. We make those payments ourselves---the Chapter 13 payments come out of my paycheck directly. Is this still possible ?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Yes it is still possible. You will need to include the house in an amended plan.