socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

What is the law regarding stripping the second mortgage in

Customer Question

What is the law regarding stripping the second mortgage in a Ch13 Bankruptcy in Nevada? I know the amount owed on the first mortgage has to be more than the value of the property. Are there any hidden legal ramifications if the attorney strips the second mortgage? Is it possible for a Ch13 not work and then refile for a Ch13 or a Ch 7, 6 months later?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Nevada is in the 9th Federal Circuit (the only circuit that recognizes the "lien stripping" mechanism that you describe). This means that the bankruptcy court can void a junior lien in Chapter 13, as long as the first lien is worth more than the fair market value of the underlying property. See In re Zimmer, 313 F.3d 1220 (9th Cir. 2002).

However, the lien is only avoided on discharge, so if the case is converted to Chapter 7, or discharged under the Chapter 13, hardship section, then the junior lien remains valid.

Not that it would matter, because if you end up in Chapter 7, you're probably losing everything anyway.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The junior lein being the first or the second mortgage?

Junior is any lien other than the first, which is the senior lien.