TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

I filed bankruptcy about 7 years ago due to being scamed out

I filed bankruptcy about 7 years ago due to being scamed out of my money. Now I have been scamed out of money I don't even have. Can I file a second time?
I cashed 5 money orders at my bank. That was sent to me by express mail. I thought I was a sercert shopper. I sent the money by Western union as I was instruced a wrote out my report as to how the tranaction when, as I was told to do. I went to the police with 3 money orders that came with the others each for 950.63. For I felt maybe I wasn't a secert shopper but maybe I was laudering someones drug money. To find out that the money orders were fake. I went to the ban the next morning as the cops said to do.
Now the bank is taking my money for the money orders. They said if I had told them that I was going to wire the money to someone they would have told me not too. But I didn't tell them what I was doing with the money. Now I am respondable for about $5,000.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “I filed bankruptcy about 7 years ago due to being scamed out of my money. Now I have been scamed out of money I don't even have. Can I file a second time?”

Answer: Here are the time limits for filing:

• 8 years between Chapter 7s.
  • 2 years between Chapter 13s.
  • 4 years between a Chapter 7 and Chapter 13.
  • 6 years between a Chapter 13 and Chapter 7.

So, if your prior bankruptcy was a Chapter 7, then you will have to wait one more year to file a new Chapter 7. I should point out that in reality the limitation is on the ability to be discharged, not on the ability to file (i.e. you could technically file for Chapter 7 now, but you can’t be discharged).

However, your SS can’t be garnished by creditors. Depending on where you live and the value of your trailer, you may be able to protect it as well. If you’d like to provide me with your State, I can look up the info for you. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there is a good chance that you’re “judgment proof.” Judgment proof is a term used to describe people who can’t be forced to pay a judgment because their only assets (if any) are protected under the law. If that’s the case with you, then the bank would be wasting its time/money to sue you for the $5000. Therefore, it may not even be necessary to file for bankruptcy again.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification. Also, if you added details in the “Optional Information” or “Already Tried” fields that I did not address in my answer, then I apologize. Questions are often posted for the experts to answer prior to the completion of those fields. Just let me know that I missed something pertinent and I’ll be happy to get back to you.

.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in MO. The bank said they want to set up a loan plan for me to pay it back is that a good option while I file
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you plan to file for bankruptcy, then there is probably no point in setting up a payment plan. It is unlikely that the bank will be able to sue you, win the case, and foreclose on your trailer in the span of about a year.

In MO, your trailer is exempt from judgments for up to $5000. That means that if your interest in the trailer is worth $5000 or less, then the bank can't take it.

You may just want to wait to see how the bank handles the situation. If it doesn't look like you'll be sued, then it may not be necessary to file for bankruptcy. If you are sued, then you may want to file as soon as you have the chance.

.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law