Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am planning on filing chapter 7 I meet the means test for

I am planning on filing chapter 7 I meet the means test for my state with what I earn through my employeement. The problem is that I receive social security survival benefit for my son who is 17 years old but he will be turning 18 in eight and as you know once he is 18 he will no longer continue to receive the survival benefit. Now if I have to claim that money then I will not meet mediam income for the state of ct. I do not that their are some social security benefits that you don't have to claim when filing bankruptcy; that are under the social security act but I am not sure if this is one of them. Can you guide me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

The social security survival benefit that you receive on behalf of your son is not included as an asset in bankruptcy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So does that me that I don't need to add it as part on my monthly income?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

That is correct. The money belongs to your son. You are receiving it for him because he is a minor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I know that if I had to claim this money I would have been above the mediam income for the state of ct. You have been extremely helpful.