socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

1. As POA for my brother, my gut says drop the bankruptcy

1. As POA for my brother, my gut says drop the bankruptcy petition I filed for him a month ago. The meeting of creditors is in a few days. Can I get out of this?

2. Will secured debt (mortgage) drop off in 10 years? One lawyer said it would. One said it would not. (in the U.S.)

A: A Chapter 7 debtor may bring a motion under 11 USC §707(a) to dismiss the case for cause, but he or she must demonstrate that the dismissal will not be prejudicial to the creditors in the case. In re Stephenson (Bankr WD Okla 2001) 262 BR 871. For example, if the debtor has nonexempt assets that became property of the estate on filing, the debtor will not normally be able to dismiss the case unless he or she can prove that all creditors consent to the dismissal or that all creditors' claims have been paid. To protect the creditors' rights to share proportionately in the assets of the estate, the court will require the Chapter 7 trustee to administer the case. See In re Eichelberger (Bankr ED Mo 1998) 225 BR 437.

A: A secured interest is never terminated, except by satisfying the underlying debt, and release by the creditor. The report will be deleted from the debtor's credit report in 10 years, but the lienholder can foreclose and take the property at any time.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you--that was helpful.

When I submitted my question I also submitted my payment info. So if I click "Accept" now, will I be double-billed?

Thank you again.

Your original payment was a deposit. When you accept, the deposit is transferred to my account, and debited from yours. There is no double billing, unless you inadvertantly click accept more than once.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was last night's question! What happened to the question I submitted a few minutes ago, at approv. 7:45 pm EST on September 3??