Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

HELP!! I was awarded $100,000 by the court for back child/spousal

HELP!! I was awarded $100,000 by the court for back child/spousal support. My exhusband asked for my address so he can list me on a Bankruptcy he and his current spouse filed (Chapter 7 no asset filed in July) When I obtained a copy of the list of creditors, my address was NOT my address, but a PO Box I am unfamiliar with.

Am I at risk of loosing this money since I did not present myself in bankruptcy court?

The agreement was that he is to pay me $500.00 per month for that claim, if he defaults over 10 days (which he has done, however I did not pursue it since he did make it up to me in a timely matter) it will be due and payable immedately, and in the year 2011 we are to revisit the matter and assess how much the payments can/should be increased.

I brought the address mistake up to my ex-husband, however he disregarded it as a typo.

Please if you have any advise, I sure could use it. I don't want to risk my children loosing what little we do get now.
Thank you, XXXXX
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Not to worry. Child support is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. You are required to receive notice. If there are assets found and liquidated, child support is a priority repayment under the bankruptcy code. You could contact the bankruptcy court (or his lawyer) to make sure the address is correct. Is it the state agency's address?
You should review the matter with your divorce lawyer to make sure he continues to pay the claim.