socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Im contemplating declare bankruptcy because has been more

I'm contemplating declare bankruptcy because has been more than a year I lost my job. What's the pro or contra? I own a co-op valued 240,000 with 125,000 mortgage. do I lose my house? I live in NYC - Queens

If you file Chapter 7, the bankruptcy trustee can sell your co-op to pay creditor debts.

If you file Chapter 13, you can spread your debts out and hopefully avoid losing your home. However, without an income source, you cannot qualify for Chapter 13, leaving Chapter 7 as the only option.

Perhaps you could take in a roommate to help pay your bills, while you continue to seek employment. This may not be palletable, but it may be your only way out, if the goal is to save your home.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.