Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hi--I am most likely going to have to file chapter 7 bankruptcy

Hi--I am most likely going to have to file chapter 7 bankruptcy (due to a divorce) a few years back--tried to stay afloat--but could not--anyway--i will be filing in october but i plan to get married in april...i was told by my lawyer that if i file and it has not been discharged then my impending marriage wont have any impact on my household this true?? I have no joint debts with my fiancee (at all)--and we are not getting married until april...will i be okay if it hasn't yet been discharged by april--again i am filing in october--thank you so much--janelle

I agree with your lawyer. However if you file in October, provided you have no complications, you should receive your discharge no later than February.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

when i file and if it is not discharged by my marriage (most likely it wil be) would they still just use my income and not all of a sudden use his just because we got married before discharge was completed???

No. The income is calculated based upon household income at the time of filing. If you are living together when you file they can use his income even if you are not married.