Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

My boyfriend is out of the country, but is working on paperwork

My boyfriend is out of the country, but is working on paperwork to file for bankruptcy. We are beginning to get summons for court, if he doesn't show up for the date what will happen? and if he declares about the same time as the court date what will happen? is there a chance a repo person will come to the house? can he go to jail?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Once a bankruptcy is filed, the automatic stay protection stops the court proceeding.

Depending on the summons, if he doesn't appear, a default judgment can be entered, and then the creditor can then procede to collect on the debt.

If he is filing chapter 7 and wants to keep the car, he'll need to catch up or redeem the car to keep it. Chapter 13 can consolidate the car note and other debts too, so he can keep it.