TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My wife and I are considering buying a lot and the seller wants

My wife and I are considering buying a lot and the seller wants to give us a Statutory Warranty Deed instead of a full Warranty Deed. This Development had been in Bankruptcy and we are dealing with a new developer that we were told bought the note from the bank. What should we do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “My wife and I are considering buying a lot and the seller wants to give us a Statutory Warranty Deed instead of a full Warranty Deed. This Development had been in Bankruptcy and we are dealing with a new developer that we were told bought the note from the bank. What should we do?”

Answer: I don’t see it as a problem, provided you have title insurance. The warranty provided with a deed relates to the title, nothing else. A general warranty deed (i.e. a full warranty deed) basically warrants that there are no other claims to the property or liens on the property. A statutory warranty deed basically warrants that the seller has not conveyed the property to another party, and has not created any liens. But if you have a title search conducted, and you have title insurance, then you’re protected anyway. Therefore, if I wanted the property, I wouldn’t hesitate just because of the statutory deed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.