socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

does filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy for both individual debt

Customer Question

does filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy for both individual debt and business debt effect my contractor's license
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

It doesn't directly affect your license, because your license cannot be revoked as a means of forcing you to pay a discharged debt to a customer.

However, if the contractors board has fined you with civil penalties, they are not discharged in bankruptcy and must be paid in full prior to reissuing your license.

Your bond, if provided by a surety, is not a debt, so it's not discharged, and it cannot be assumed by the bankruptcy trustee -- so it has no value to the bankruptcy estate. But, if your bond is some sort of cash equivalent provided by you, like a CD, then that becomes the property of the bankruptcy estate and the trustee can use it to satisfy your creditors -- which means that you will have to find a means of restoring your bond before your license can be reissued.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.