socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have sold everything I can and have enough to pay off my

I have sold everything I can and have enough to pay off my credit card debt I encoured because people went out of buisness who owed us money. Even after paying off the credit cards I am upside down with my house first, second, boat and camper. I was told that I can file chapter 7 because I am disabled my income has dropped 75% and I don't make enough to pay my mortgage. Can I go ahead and pay off the unsecured debt and then file for bankruptcy on the secured debt so I don't lose the only vehicle that can hold my family it is worth 17k and paid for but I was told they would take it to pay unsecured debt.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Before deciding whether to pay off a particular debt, you may want to check the bankruptcy exemptions for your State jurisdiction, because this can affect whether and what you may choose to pay off.

If you tell me where you reside, I can give you a link to an exemption list.

Thanks in advance.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.