FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

i received summons at home for a debt 3 days ago for a debt

i received summons at home for a debt 3 days ago for a debt i owe since 1yr ago. i know my options are to respond to the summons but am not sure how to respond and what i need to include in the response or what kind of respose i am filing. They stated three claims against me, I do admit i owe some the debt but not the whole amt. Now i tired to search online and called several lawyers but they kept saying i shouldnt worry abt the debt but some said to file a response. I was so confused and i then got to a websit called Dargon Law Firm!! They contacted me and said they are a debt setlement company and that they will help negotiate the debt. I explained my case and they tld me i should hand over the case to them and they will pay of my creditors and they would take care of this for about half the amt of the debt. What shld i do to make sure i am not being scammed. should i trust them. They seem pretty genuine. I just need to know am doing the right thing. Please help. thanks
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.

If you received a summons, you need to respond as directed in the summons or a judgment will be entered against you in the amount that the plaintiff is requesting. Some small claims actions require the defendant to appear in court. Other actions require a written response. The summons will direct you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont think you read the second part of what i already tried maybe you could explain better on this issue o the debt settlement company

The second part of your question was not on my original screen. I went to their website. You will want to read your agreement to determine if you will have to pay the settlement amnount plus their fee of two payments of 375.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i was really looking for help with what i need to make sure i do when dealing with a debt setlement company. I have read their agreement and it doesnt mention anything there. i just needed to know if i needed to have anything signed on my part before making any payments to them. Pls explain this one last detailed and i will accept ur anwer. the reason i didnt accept before is bc it seems u answered in a hurry and didnt look into my question. i understand communication form might be a problem but i really dont think the answers are well expalined enough.

Debt settlement companies do not typically represent debtors in ongoing litigation. Therefore you will want to be certain that the case that you have is being responded to. An attorney is typically the best choice to assist with debt settlement as there are many companies that take the money and produce no results.

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.