WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in Louisian. My wife is filing for

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in Louisian. My wife is filing for bankrupcy and I was an authrized user on her three credit cards which she have cancelled seven or eight months ago but they are still apearing in my credit reports. Now I am being refused for even basic TV and Internet services while I have two car loans and two credit cards. All are in good shape. What should I do to remove those credit cards from my report where I am an authorized user and been cancelled a long time ago. They even never called me or informed me when they cancelled the cards.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 5 years ago.
IF YOU NEVER WERE A CO APPLICANT ON THE CARD YOU DO NOT OWE THE MONEY ON THE CARD, BUT MAKE SURE YOU NEVER SIGNED ON THE CARDS. YOU HAVE TO THEN SEND A LETTER TO EACH LISTED REPORTING AGENCY.

ADDRESSES TO SEND LETTER

Equifax

P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GANNN-NN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Experian (formerly TRW)

P.O. Box 949, Allen, TX 75013; (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742).

Trans Union

760 West Sproul Road, P.O. Box 390, Springfield, PANNN-NN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Tell the consumer reporting company, in writing, what information you think is inaccurate. Include copies (NOT originals) of documents that support your position. In addition to providing your complete name and address, your letter should clearly identify each item in your report you dispute, state the facts and explain why you dispute the information, and request that it be removed or corrected. You may want to enclose a copy of your report with the items in question circled. Your letter may look something like the one below. Send your letter by certified mail, “return receipt requested,” so you can document what the consumer reporting company received. Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.

Consumer reporting companies must investigate the items in question — usually within 30 days — unless they consider your dispute frivolous. They also must forward all the relevant data you provide about the inaccuracy to the organization that provided the information. After the information provider receives notice of a dispute from the consumer reporting company, it must investigate, review the relevant information, and report the results back to the consumer reporting company. If the information provider finds the disputed information is inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide consumer reporting companies so they can correct the information in your file

Sample Dispute Letter

Date
Your Name
Your Address, City, State, Zip Code

Complaint Department
Name of Company
Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. I have circled the items I dispute on the attached copy of the report I received.

This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am requesting that the item be removed (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records and court documents) supporting my position. Please reinvestigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Your name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is very generalized answer which anyone who surf on internet can find it about any false information on your report. Please answer that when my wife cancelled me as an authorized user then the credit card companies were suppose to remove me or not. If yes why they never removed me and those cards and their amount are in my credit report. If not will they remove me after writting this sample letter you forwarded. My wife cancelled my cards as an autorized user last year and when the accounts were not deliquint. Now they are. Please if you can mention any law regarding that or any case which concern this issue.
THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO REMOVE YOU, YOUR CAN ONLY DISPUTE IT WITH THEM THROUGH WRITING THE LETTER, THEThe Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), IS THE LAW THAT REGULATES CREDIT CARD COLLECTIONS AND REPORTING AGENCIES, AS I STATED ABOVE, AN AUTHORIZED USER IS NOT LIABLE FOR DEBTS, ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT IT SHOULD HAVE AN "A" NEXT TO OUR NAME TO SIGNIFY AUTHORIZED USER, IF YOU SEND THE LETTER IT WILL BE REMOVED OR SUE THEM IN COURT UNDER THE FCRA AS THEY WILL OWE YOU MONEY FOR DAMGES.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS