socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

My friend filed for bankruptcy in 2001. My name was listed

Customer Question

My friend filed for bankruptcy in 2001. My name was listed as a 2nd user on one of his credit cards.
I am now getting collection calls for the money. Since the card was on his bankruptcy, am I now liable to pay it?
James Michalski
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Statute of limitations on an open account claim in Florida is 4 years. If you have lived in Florida all this time, then the debt collector can't touch you.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I moved from Florida to TN in Feb 2008 does that mean they now can come after me?
nope. Statute of limitations tolls while you're out of state, but it was already expired in 2005.