socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I had a bankrupcy charge off in feb 2009. prior to this I

Customer Question

I had a bankrupcy charge off in feb 2009.
prior to this I had refinanced a honda ridgeling in 2007 with usaa, and in the course of this the DMV gave me clear title ( pink slip) to the truck and registration has been in my name only for over two years. in the bancrupcy the debt to usaa was charged off, and they never claimed the vehicle prior to feb 2009, I had even sent them an email and a phone call in november 2008 asking them to pick up the truck. never heard from them, they always had my current address and phone. so I asked my attorney about this and he said that leagally they should have reposesed my truck or contacted me prior to the charge off. and if not, the truck is mine. is this correct?
now 6 months later I have recieved a call and a notice on door requestion that I contact this 3rd party regaring my truck ( I am assuming they want it)
what are my rights, options? what can they do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

You have no right to the collateral/vehicle. The bankruptcy does not defeat the right of the lender to the right to repossess the vehicle, even though the lender cannot sue you for a deficiency on the debt/loan. And there is no statute of limitations on the exercise of the repossession right.

If you don't give up th vehicle voluntarily, the lender will find it on the street somewhere and eventually just take it from you.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if I sold it?

That would be a misdemeanor in California, under Penal Code secs. 570-574. The buyer has no right to the property, but he/she can sue you for fraud, if the car is repossessed. And, the DA can prosecute you for the crime.

Maybe you should try to get the truck back and give the buyer his/her money back, before things get out of hand.