Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am assisting a friend in applying for SSDI as well as SS

I am assisting a friend in applying for SSDI as well as SS Widow's benefits she should have been receiving since her husband died in 2003. She is also in the process of filing for bankruptcy. If she qualifies for benefits, how does that affect the bankruptcy process?

If she qualifies for benefits, how does that affect the bankruptcy process?

Response 1: Her eligibility for Social Security benefits does not affect her bankruptcy case. Her Social Security benefits are not even included in the means test calculation, as income. She should be more than okay.

Can she halt the bankruptcy process while Social Security is assessing her eligibility?

Response 2: There is no reason to halt the bankruptcy process. Bankruptcy does not affect her Social Security benefits. Social Security benefits are completely exempt from execution pursuant to 42 U.S.C. Section 407.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the swift reply. It went far towards calming my friend's fears. We will continue the process for her Social Security benefits and the bankruptcy. We both appreciate your assistance.