Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Texas Bankruptcy. I am disabled, and I am having to file bankruptcy

Texas Bankruptcy. I am disabled, and I am having to file bankruptcy due to my bills. The lawyers I have consulted with, want a $500 retainer fee. I don't have $500 for a retainer. Is there any lawyer (Lubbock, TX) that will accept a lower retainer fee so that I can start the process and have protection from the courts. I know that there is an additional fee for the attorney.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I answered your question yesterday. What do you need protection from? Do you have assets that are being attached?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is a law suit that has been filed against for non payment of the credit card accounts. Initially, I tried to pay my debts with the help of a debt settlement company.

For a while, I was able to satisfy my creditors with monthly payments to the debt settlement company. During this time. I was having to travel 350 miles from my home to a speciality hospital. Travel, and board is very costly. I literally had to decide if I wanted treatment or not. So it was truly a life or death situation. I chose treatment.

I have gone through my retirement funds, and inheritance, and the only assets I have now is my home, and car. My car is paid for. And I want to keep my home.

I have always been a responsible person, paid my debts and so on. You never expect illness to hit you in your early 40's.

Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

So sorry.

As I stated in my prior answer, it is not necessary for you to file bankruptcy. Your home, SSI and disability are exempt from creditor claims in Texas. In other words, you can be sued but the creditor cannot collect. If you pass away the debt will not the responsibility of your family. If you recover, you can file bankruptcy at that time and include any additional debt incurred between now and then.

If you need clarification or have a follow up question, you can post me back on this thread.