How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38802
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had $240,000 invested in mineral rights with Provident Royalties.

Resolved Question:

I had $240,000 invested in mineral rights with Provident Royalties. They filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. SEC then filed a lawsuit claiming it was a Ponzi scheme. They were using new investor monies to pay old investors' dividends rather then investing in oil and gas assets. It appears there in little to recover. The broker claims he hires a firm to perform due diligence on investments he recommends. I signed an agreement stating there was risk involved and to invest no more than 10% of your net worth. I invested 24% w/o my broker initially knowing. Should I hire a lawyer to sue my broker's firm?(e.g.arbitration) Or should I try to negotiate myself? How will the effect my relationship with my broker? I don't have all the necessary paperwork to file with my tax return to deduct some of theses losses. My contention is I didn't even get a chance to take a risk since it was a Ponzi scheme.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

You probably have a required arbitration agreement with the broker. For a case with this much money at stake, that's probably a good thing because it would reduce your cost of litagation. You could subpoena the firm that the broker supposedly hires to check out the investments, and if no such firm exists, then that could be used to claim misrepresentation or breach of fiduciary.


You could also file a complaint with, and maybe recover your entire principal amount. That's what all of the Madoff investors are doing -- for you, the recovery would be sufficient to replace your entire investment.


For a lawyer referral, see: and


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you