Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I am considering backruptcy, but have no idea where to begin.

I am considering backruptcy, but have no idea where to begin. I live in Minnesota.
Do you want me to refer you to a book on the matter that may help you or did you have a specific question we could answer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would appreciate a recommendation for a book. But, my main question is, if I file backruptcy is my home mortgage and credit card(s) debt erased, yet I get to keep my home?

At your local book store or on the internet you should be able to order a bankruptcy book from NOLO publishing that is easy to understand and has forms in it for simple BK filings.

If you file chapter 7 where your debts get wiped out, your credit card debts will likely get wiped out but if you keep your home, the mortgage debt stays with it. If you give up your home, the mortgage debt gets wiped out also.

If you file chapter 13, where you agree to pay back some or all of the debt on a payment plan, the credit card debt will get reduced to cents on the dollar, but you will still have to pay the mortgage in full and keep your house.

JA experts are not permitted to have outside communications with JA customers. However, you may be able to find an attorney to assist you in your area by going to or

Please click "ACCEPT" so I may get credit for my work. If you have a couple of follow-up questions I would be happy to address them for you after that at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the info. One last question. What happens if I just default on my credit cards, but don't file bankruptcy?
They will report it to your credit report, then they will send it to a collection agency, after that they may opt to sue you to get a judgment, then they will try to attach the judgment to your assets.