socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am married and contemplating a personal bankruptcy filing.

I am married and contemplating a personal bankruptcy filing. (Not jointly with my spouse) We reside in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.

More than 50% of my debts are due to the failure of my business - a large balance still owed to a bank by my company for a busines LOC and business credit cards. I provided a personal guarantee when I opened both.

Due to my wife's income, I do not pass the Ch. 7 means test, but since most of my debt is related to my business, ae mny debts considered primarly "non-consumer debt," and if som does the means test apply? Would Chapter 7 still be available to me? If so, are there other qualifying requirements that could force me to go to Ch 13?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

You are correct that if most of your debt is not "consumer debt," then you do not have to pass the means test (11 U.S.C. sec. 101(8)). As for the reason why your attorneys have allegedly ignored this issue:

1. They don't know the law on the subject matter;

2. They have a rationale of which neither you nor I are aware;

3. They don't want to hassle with "difficult" bankruptcy cases, because the client won't be able to pay the bill for the additional requred litigation.

My opinion is that #3 is likely the answer. Consumer bankruptcy attorneys know that the client is on the ropes financialy, and so they seek to minimize the potential legal issues. A means test calculation is easy if everything is consumer debt. But, the dividing line between consumer and nonconsumer debt is amorphic and subject to potential litigation -- and the typical bankruptcy attorney may simply tell the debtor to do something to remove the likelihood of this litigation issue -- in anticipation that if the debtor cannot do so, then he/she will just go away, leaving the attorney with easier cases that will generate the same amount of revenue.

I know of bankruptcy attorneys who will automatically turn away any case where there is a business component, because their experience is that the debtor will never pay the attorney's fees, due to their ever-mounting costs.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)